Many people who own jewelry are unsure what their jewelry is worth. You should have an expert appraise your jewelry.
Here are the reasons you may wish to consider getting an appraisal:
• You would like to ensure your previous jeweler did not overcharge you.
• You are thinking about selling your jewelry.
• You won’t be insured if you don’t have an appraisal.
The value of your jewelry pieces may change over the years. Jewelry owners should really have their jewelry appraised about once every couple of years.
You will want to make sure a jeweler has been properly trained before you ask them to do an appraisal. Here are some factors you should consider before you choose one to work with.
What You Have to Look for When You Receive a Jewelry Appraisal in Santa Rosa CA
You will need to know what to look for while you are looking for a jeweler to appraise your jewelry. You want to verify that a jeweler is trained before hiring them.
Ask the appraiser if they have earned a Graduate Gemologist degree from an accredited gemologist school. You should also make sure that they are a member of the National Association of Jewelry Appraisals. An accreditation from these societies will prove that the jeweler has the training required to do an appraisal. There are also a few other recognized organizations that prove they have the training and experience needed. These organizations include the American Gem Society, International Society of Appraisers and American Association of Appraisers.
Jewelers must have over two years of training to be a member of these societies. A jeweler will also need at least 5 years of experience to be a senior member of most of these societies.
You must ask the gemologist how how many years they have been doing appraisals. You will want to hire a gemologist with at least five years of experience.
You need to rely on a professional who will do a great job. They should have recommendations from previous customers.
I have been a gemologist for more than 20 years. I worked in one of the best stores in California for more than a decade. I have worked closely with lots of clients who are going to testify to the quality of the work I do. Please don’t hesitate to call me if you would like an appraisal.
Pitfalls to Avoid When Getting an Appraisal
Some jewelers are not completely unscrupulous or do not have the expertise needed to do jewelry appraisals. There are several factors you need to think about:
• Unethical jewelers often charge buyers more to appraise more valuable pieces. You will want to pay the jeweler for the amount of work that was involved.
• Make sure any certifications the jeweler holds were issued by a legimiate organization. Many firms will issue certificates to anyone that is willing to pay a fee. You will only want to hire someone who is a member of the National Association of Jewelry Appraisers or another recognized institution.
• A number of jewelers are not qualified to determine the value of specific types of jewelry. They will typically use annual industry reports to calculate the value of gemstones. A jeweler will need use different equipment and specific training to determine the value of an antique piece because there are other variables they will need to take into consideration. Additional variables may include the age, condition and the cut of the piece. Be sure that the professional has the right qualifications to appraise your jewelry.
Hire an appraiser that has professional liability insurance. This will cover you from any mistakes they might make.
You must know what to look for when you are getting an appraisal. Only hire an honest expert who is certified and experienced.
Work With Me
You spent a lot of money for your jewelry. You have to find out what it is really worth. Feel free to contact me when you need a jewelry appraisal in Santa Rosa CA.
2420 Magowan Dr
Santa Rosa, CA 95405